Antlers chews make wonderful chews for dogs, but just like any dog chew it is important to be careful and to supervise your dog. Here are a few tips to help your dog to enjoy the antler chew and keep him or her safe.
* Make sure your antler dog chew is large enough so that there is no possibility that your dog could choke on it. If you find that the antler chews that you have purchased are not large enough for your dog, you can return it to us for a refund.
* Check your antler chew over for any possible sharp edges. If there are any, it is easy to remove them by rubbing the sharp edge against concrete or sandpaper
* Wash the antler chew in warm, soapy water and rinse well.
* Give the antler chew to your dog watch him while he chews it for at least the first few times.
* Make sure your dog is gnawing on the antler instead of trying to break the antler chew in half. If he is bearing down hard on the antler, it is best to take it away (don't forget to give him a treat for giving it up!), since chewing any hard chew this way could damage his teeth.
* Do not allow your dog to chew more than an inch of the antler per day.
* Take the antler chew away from your dog once it gets worn down to a small enough size that your dog could swallow / choke on it.
* If your dog likes the antler so much that he guards it from you, you can teach him to drop the antler for a treat.
* If your dogs fight over their antler chews, make sure to give the chews to them when the dogs are separated.
* If your dog isn't interested in the chewing the antler, try rubbing it with sandpaper or a nail file. If your dog still isn't interested in the antler, you could try rubbing it with a small amount of peanut butter or soaking it overnight in water in the refrigerator.